Sunday, March 4, 2012

The "Women's History Month" Weekly Update Part 1


Interesting Stuff on the Internet (3/04/2012)

Thought for the Week
For Women's History Month the focus is gender, feminism, womanism, intersectionality, and all the good things that come with equality. Now, in the interest of full disclosure I mention that I don't identify as a feminist. But this doesn't mean that I don't agree with many of their ideas. They just express themselves in ways that I sometimes find problematic.
Featured Site for the Week: Finally, A Feminism 101 Blog
Ever wonder just what those bra burnin' feminist are all about? This site is a good starting place for some of the unfamiliar terminology and theories that will come up over the next several weeks.
Interesting Links for the Week
‘women’s work’ versus ‘men’s work’: that’s a thing of the past, right?
  • This is going to turn into one of those discussions about nurse Barbie vs. neurosurgeon Barbie.
The smart/pretty dichotomy
  • My grandmother always told me that "Boys don't make passes at girls who wear glasses". This is (un)fortunately not true.
“Is there a failure more immediately public than trying to look beautiful and falling short?”
  • Beauty is in the eye of the critic.
My body is not there for your entertainment
  • And the next person who tells me to "smile" is getting punched.
Womanhood does not equal Motherhood (a Doctor Who rant)
  • Not having children doesn't make you less of a person (or woman if you swing that way.)
Alarm Bells, Dirt, and Other Girl-Power Tools
  • How to empower your daughter and other young girls in your life
Haunted by The Handmaid's Tale
  • Or "If Republicans controlled the White House"... I kid, I kid.
I Write Letters
  • The Kardashians: How dare they not perform womanhood as I demand it!
Product of the Week:

No comments:

Post a Comment